When I design my games, I’m driven by an overall philosophy of design that leads me to try and develop rulesets that are elegant; I try to get across as much depth as I can with the fewest number of rules. This results in games that are both highly accessible, and also playable competitively. My philosophy is that by adhering closely to the fundamentals of game design, we can make better games. We can make games that last lifetimes.
I’m sometimes available for game design consulting work. Email me for details.
- I designed 100 Rogues and EMPIRE, both critically acclaimed, and am currently designing AURO
- I am the author of Game Design Theory: A New Philosophy For Understanding Games, published by CRC Press
- Nearly 20 years experience designing non-commercial games
- I am a writer for Gamasutra.com
- I’ve taught game design at the NY Film Academy, SUNY Purchase College, as at the Katonah Arts Center and at the Pelham Arts Center